Friday, December 26, 2014

Famous Friday: Lloyd Leonard Nosler, Early Film Editor

Sometimes I find a very interesting relative in my tree.  Lloyd Nosler (1900-1985), a 2nd cousin 2x's removed from me (my great grandmother Minnie Nosler's 1st cousin 1x removed), is one for sure.  Born in Riverton, Coos, Oregon, to Charles Sumner Nosler and Ida Belle White, he moved to Los Angeles sometime after the 1910 Census.  His 12 September 1918 U.S. World War I Draft Registration Card showed that he was already a film editor for the Universal Film Company at the ripe age of 18!
[Lloyd Nosler's WWI Draft Registration Card, from Registration State: California; Registration County: Los Angeles; Roll: 1530903; Draft Board: 14]

Six years later, in October 1924, he applied for a passport which included the one picture I have of him.  He was scheduled to visit (and I presume film in) Italy, France, and Switzerland for Metro Goldwyn Meyer.  He sailed from New York to England and on from there, and finally returned to New York on 24 February 1925.
[Picture of Lloyd Nosler in 1924, from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington D.C.; NARA Series: Passport Applications: Chicago, New York City, New Orleans, San Francisco and Seattle, 1914-1925; Box #: 4159; Volume #: Volume 21: Special Series - New York]

The timing of this trip, and the film company, makes me think it was for the filming of "Ben Hur," Lloyd Nosler's most famous movie, with the legendary chariot race scene (which I could only find in this French commentary, but as a silent movie it isn't that important to hear anything).





© 2014 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment