Friday, January 2, 2015

52 Ancestors in 54 Weeks: Week 10: My 2nd Great Grandfather, Gustav Andersson (b abt 1850)

Gustav Andersson is my most modern brick wall.  According to another Fister family researcher, my great grandmother Mette Karine's father was listed as "Gustav Andersen Bergehoin," a Swedish roadworker.  My understanding is that Mette thought that her father was a sailor and had died at sea when she was an infant, and only later discovered that she had been born out of wedlock.  Gustav has been a mystery ever since.

There is a Gustav Andersen in the Norwegian 1875 Census in Kvål, Høyland, Rogaland, Norway  who might the same guy.  He is listed as a railway worker, born in 1850 in Lidkjøbing, Sverige (Lidköping, Sweden).  This seems to be my most promising lead.
[Lidköping circa 1700, from Suecia Antiqua et Hodierna, from Wikipedia]

I have found a Gustav Andersson, born 1 August 1850 in Gösslunda, about 4 miles away from the center of Lidköping, in Ancestry.com's "Sweden, Births from the Swedish Death Index, 1901-2006" database.  I don't know if it is the same guy, but if it is it means that he went back to Sweden after working in Norway, as the database contains birth information on people who died in Sweden.




© 2014 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment