Monday, September 7, 2015

Celebrations: Labor Day

The very first Labor Day parade took place in New York City on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, organized by the Central Labor Union. Labor Day was first celebrated as a national holiday on the first Monday of September in 1894, although by then 23 states (beginning with Oregon in 1887) had already made it a holiday in their state.

[Library of Congress on Facebook]
To learn more about the history of the holiday, you can visit the U.S. Department of Labor's webpage here, read about what probably was behind President Grover Cleveland's support for the national holiday in 1894 here, and watch the TED-Ed video below.


[Why do Americans and Canadians celebrate Labor Day? - Kenneth C. Davis]



© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. So I guess hiring a pack of 6 year olds to work on my garden is out. I did hire a pack of 11 year olds a few years ago (my friend Ella's children) to help me in the garden, they were great, full of energy, and they got paid too. They loved it. I did not let them use the chain saw.

    ReplyDelete