Saturday, April 9, 2016

An Old Newspaper With Even Older News

The beatings and beratings 1655 happened in Dover/Dover Neck, Strafford, New Hampshire, back when it was still Massachusetts.  "From the Exeter News-Letter. Olden Times." Indiana Palladium (Lawrenceburg, Dearborn County, Indiana), p. 4, col. 2; digital image, Hoosier State Chronicles: Indiana's Digital Historic Newspaper Program (https://newspapers.library.in.gov/ : accessed 9 Apr 2016).


Like most other states, Indiana has a free newspaper database archive.  I came across the above story in my search for Tibbetts, who originally settled in the southeast part of Indiana (Dearborn County) in 1816.  It was a summary of humorous judicial records from old Massachusetts, published in an Indiana newspaper in 1832.


Jeremiah "Jeremy" Tibbetts married Mary Canney.  I believe the Jane Canney referred to in the article was a second wife of Thomas Canney.  I am related to these people through Henry Tibbetts and his downline.



I wonder if the editor of the newspaper in Indiana was trolling old Ben Tibbetts (1769-1853), my 5th great grandfather, who was in the area, as these people were his direct ancestors.  Or maybe Ben brought this to the attention of the newspaper editor.  Or maybe it was just coincidence?

Whatever the reason, I have come to the conclusion that Mrs. Jane Canney was quite a scrapper.




I think the the Exeter News-Letter has been published since 1831, and apparently still exists.





© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment