Friday, May 12, 2017

From the Probate Files: Peter Worden II - New Plymouth, New England, 1680

Last month we looked at the will of another Peter Worden who was this Peter Worden's father. Both men had arrived in Yarmouth in about 1638. This will, written in 1679, included a mention of the land in Old England left to him by his father.

["Massachusetts, Plymouth County, Probate Records, 1633-1967," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G97D-V3DG?cc=2018320&wc=M6BX-F29 : 20 May 2014), > image 514 of 616; State Archives, Boston.]


I Peter Worden of the towne of Yarmouth in the collonie of New Plymouth
in New England in America about saventy one years of age being weake in
body yett in perfect memory doe make this my last will and testament ~ ~ ~
Firstly I bequeath my soule to God that gave it and my body to the earth to be
decently buryed when God's time is to remove mee out of this world by death ~ ~
Secondly. I make my son Samuell Worden my whole and sole executor to
whom I give all my lands upon the necke called Equinett Necke with all the
priviledges therto belonging, to him and his heires and assignes forever with
eight acrees of land att the south sea; to the said necke soe likewise I give
to my son Samuell Worden all my housing and land that I now live upon
after his mother's decease both upland and marsh and orchyard and the
land I bought to Mr. Allin; with all other lands due to mee from the towne
not yett layed out or from the country as procured by the late warr with
the indians; so likewise I give to my son Samuell my best bedsted and
my trundle bedsted; ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thirdly I give to my daughter Martha the wife of Joseph Severens
a peece of marsh about three acrees be it more or lesse lying att the head
of the marsh above John Burgis his ditch; during her naturall life; and
after I give it to my son Samuell Worden to whom I likewise give ~
all the cattle that hee hath bine possessed of by mee excerpting two oxen ~ ~ ~
Fourthly I give to my loving wife Mary Worden the proffitts and improvement
of my housing and lands and orchyards that I now live upon during her natural
life, both upland and marsh with the land I bought of Mr. Allin and all
my household good and cattle for her support during her life and my will is
that what of my goods and cattle are left after my wife decease shal be
equally divided betwixt my three daughters Mary, Mercy and Martha ~~
Fifthly I give to my son Samuell Worden all my estate in old England
both land and other estate that came by my wife ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sixthly I give to my daughter Mary the wife of John Burgis, the one half of my
forth acrees of upland att the head of the lotts to her her heires and assignes
forever ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Seaventhly I give to my daughter Martha the wife of Joseph Severens
all the cattle and goods that; shee is already possessed of by mee with one cow ~ ~
more att my decease and after her decease my will is that what of them are left
shall fall to her two daughters now living ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Lastly I give to my son Samuell Worden my Chist and my cloake;
Signed and sealed before                  Peter Worden [and a Seale]
us this 9th day of January 1679
John Freeman Senior
Silas Sares*   

On July 29, 1680, Peter Worden wrote an addition to this will "as a further explanation" which I will address in a future post.
.


*This transcription is based on one found at USGenWeb donated by Don Ross which I have edited and amended using the scan of the original.



© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment