Friday, July 21, 2017

From the Probate Files: Hugh Kennedy - Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 1814

I was originally drawn to this fifth great grandfather's*will because of the relatively legible handwriting of the Allegheny County clerk who copied the original into the official records.**

[History of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania : including its early settlement and progress to the present time ; a description of its historic and interesting localities ; its cities, towns and villages; religious, educational, social and military history ; mining, manufacturing and commercial interests, improvements, resources, statistics, etc. ; also, biographies of many of its representative citizens
by Cushing, Thomas, b. 1821, Publication date 1889, Publisher Chicago : A. Warner & Co. Source: Archive.org]


All Hugh's children are named but only two of his son received more than one dollar.



In the name of God Amen. I Hugh Kennedy of the County of
allegheny and the Township of Mifflin being weak in body but of sound &
perfect mind and memory Blessed be Almighty God for the same do make
and publish this my last will and Testament in manner and form foll-
owing that (is to say) first I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Eli-
zabeth Kennedy a good deacent mentenence together with all the bedd-
ing and household furniture enduring her life or widowhood. I do also


give and bequeath unto my Eldest Son William one dollar. Also I give and 
bequeath unto my Daughter Rebecca one dollar. I also give and bequeath un-
to my Daughter Mary one dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my son Martin
one Dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my daughter Jennet one dollar.
I also give and bequeath unto my son Henry one dollar. I also give and
bequeath unto my daughter Catherine one dollar. I also give and bequeath
unto my son James one Dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my daughter
Isabella one Dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my two sons Hugh & D-
avid their heirs and assigns all that my messuage or Tenements situated
lying and being in the Township and County aforesaid. Together with all my
other free hold Estate whatsoever to hold to them the said Hugh and David
their heirs and assigns forever. And lastly I give and bequeath unto my
beloved wife all the rest and residue and remainder of my personal prop-
erty estate goods and chattels of what kind and nature soever enduring
her widowhood, and at her death to be divided betwixt my two sons Hugh
& David each the one half together with each paying the half of my lawfull
debts. And I do hereby appoint my sons David and my trusty friend William
Canel my whole sole Executors of this my last will and Testament hereby re-
voking all former wills by me made. In Witness whereof I have heretofo-
re set my hand and seal this second day February in the year of our Lo-
rd one thousand eight hundred and fourteen. Signed Sealed published a-
nd declared by the above named Hugh Kennedy to be his last will and
Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names.
Geo. M Millen   Adam Boyd   Jeremiah Feree                his
                                                                               Hugh  X  Kennedy {Seal}
                                                                                        mark

[Will Books, 1789-1917; Author: Allegheny County (Pennsylvania). Register of Wills; Probate Place: Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
Source: Ancestry.com]


Allegheny County fs. On the 9.th day of March A D. 1814 Personally came Ge-
orge M Millen, Adam Boyd and Jeremiah Feree the Subscribing witnesses
to the within will before Saml. Jones Register for the probate of wills aforesaid
County, and being duly Sworn they did depose and say that they were pres-
ent and did see Hugh Kennedy make his mark to this instrument of wri-
ting and published pronounced & declared the same to be his last will an-
d Testament, and that he was of sound mind and memory at the ti-
me of so doing to the best of their Knowledge. Given under my hand, etc.
day & year aforesaid.
                        Recorded 9th March 1814.              Saml. Jones Register


Ancestry's databases also include the original will itself although some words on the left margin haven't been scanned. Comparing the two versions, as far as I can tell the main difference between them is the spelling of some of the words. (In his determination to fit everything within the lines, the clerk was certainly willing to break words in eccentric ways.)

[Will Packets Or Files, 1789-1917; Author: Allegheny County (Pennsylvania). Register of Wills; Probate Place: Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
Source: Ancestry.com]


*Here's my descent from Hugh Kennedy:

[Ancestry.com]

**I have the 1680 inventory of another maternal ancestor, tenth great grandfather Peter Worden, waiting for me to tackle its crabbed script.




© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment