Friday, August 25, 2017

From the Probate Files: Peter Worden II - New Plymouth, New England, 1680 (Part IV)

If you look closely at the inventory of this 10X great grandfather's estate you may understand why I've been postponing my consideration of it. Handwriting from the late 17th century is hard to decypher.


["Massachusetts, Plymouth County, Probate Records, 1633-1967," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-997D-V3ZQ?cc=2018320&wc=M6BX-F29%3A338083801 : 20 May 2014), Wills 1633-1686 vol 1-4 > image 514 & 515 of 616; State Archives, Boston.]

In fact I'm going to take advantage of a printed version of the inventory taken from "Specific Ancestral Lines of the Boaz, Paul, Welty & Fishel Families" by Adrienne Boaz.

[Specific Ancestral Lines of the Boaz, Paul, Welty & Fishel Families, page 401.
By Adrienne Boaz. Source: Google Books]


From this inventory we can see that Peter II had amassed a respectable amount of worldly goods, including livestock, beds, other furniture and cooking utensils, tools, a gun with powder and bullets, and two bibles. But there's one item I particularly want to draw your attention to in the original:


Item an Indian servant that cost att first                 04 -- 10 --- 0

This is the person referred to in this phrase of the codicil to Peter's will: "I give my Indian servant to my son Samuell after my wife's decease."

I've already covered the land in Old England left him by his father Peter I here.

Peter II's wife Mary survived him by about seven years, making her own will in 1686 which we'll look at next time.


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment