Friday, November 3, 2017

From the Probate Files: Clyburn Mathis - Chatham County, North Carolina, 1806

Once again we're far up the Matthews line with this maternal fifth great grandfather who appears to have lived his whole life in North Carolina. His will was probated in 1806.

[Title of the document from the reverse side of the will below]

[Wills and Estate Papers (Chatham County), 1663-1978; Author: North Carolina. Division of Archives and History; Probate Place: Chatham, North Carolina. Ancestry.com. North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Original data: North Carolina County, District and Probate Courts.]


In the name of God Amen
I Clyborn Mathis of Chatham County and state of
North Carolina being weak in body but of perfect
mind and memory Thanks be to God and cawling
to mind that it is appointed for all men once to
and first of all I Recommend my sole in
to my Makers hand and my body I Recommend
to the Ground at the descresion of my Executors
hearaftere named and what it hath pleased
God to bestowe on me as to temperol Goods I bestowe
in the following Manner
first of all = I Leave to my well beloved wife
Mary Mathis the use of all my personal Estate
as Long as she Continues my widow on death that
is to say my Land Stock of Every Kind all working
Tools of Every Kind and at her death or Marriadge
my desire is that my too sons by the names of 
Wiley Mathis and Lewis Mathis shall have my
Land to be devied Equly between Each of Them
and the rest of my Estate my desire is that
it shall be Equally Devied amongst all my
Children that is now single
I Leave to my son Kinchin Mathis the sum
of five Shillings to be Raised out of my Estate
==
I Leave to my Daughter Lucreasy horn
the sum of five Shillings to be Raised out of my
Estate
---
I do anominate Leave and appoint my wife 
Mary Mathis and my son[?] Britain Mathis to be Exectrs
to this my Last will and Testament Revoking all other
wills by me maid in witness whereof I have hearunto
set my hand and affixed my seal this 6 day octebr 1797
in the presants of                                     his
Jo[?] Brantley                             Clyburn X Mathis{seal}
Anthony Thomas {???] X                      mark


Although Clyburn didn't name all of his children in his will--only sons Wiley, Kinchin and Britain and daughter Lucresy Horn, we can deduce the names of the two others from a note on the back of the will dated 1801. "Clibon Mathes Jnr" is my direct ancestor.


[Wills and Estate Papers (Chatham County), 1663-1978; Author: North Carolina. Division of Archives and History; Probate Place: Chatham, North Carolina. Ancestry.com. North Carolina, Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Original data: North Carolina County, District and Probate Courts.]


October 19 1801 This May Certify that Clibon Mathis Jnr and
     Mary Scidmore have Recvd their full share of all my
     Estate as witness my hand this day and year above written
     Test                                          His
     Jo[?] Brantley              Clibon C Mathis
     Wm Brown                           mark

Here's how I'm related to this man, however he spelled his name:

[Ancestry.com]

By 1830 his son Claiburn was spelling his surname Matthews in census records.



© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment