Friday, January 5, 2018

From the Probate Files: Hugh Kennedy - Allegheny County, Pennsylvania - 1814

Last week we looked at the will of William Kenedy who is believed to be the father of my ancestor Hugh Kennedy and I promised to examine Hugh's will. Somehow the day got away from me and I just realized that it's my turn to post. Fortunately Hugh Kennedy's 1814 will is relatively short and the clerk who copied it into the records had legible handwriting.

[Will Books, 1789-1917; Author: Allegheny County (Pennsylvania). Register of Wills; Probate Place: Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Pennsylvania County, District and Probate Courts.]


In the Name of God Amen. I Hugh Kennedy of the County of
Allegheny and the Township of Mifflin being weak in body but of sound &
perfect mind and memory Blessed be Almighty God for the same do make
and publish this my last will and Testament in manner and form foll-
owing that (is to say) first I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Eli-
zabeth Kennedy a good deacent mentenence together with all the bedd-
ing and household furniture endurring her life or widowhood. I do also
-------
give and bequeath unto my Eldest Son William one dollar. Also I give and
bequeath unto my Daughter Rebecca one dollar. I also give and bequeath un
to my Daughter Mary one dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my son Martin
one Dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my daughter Jennet one dollar.
I also give and bequeath unto my son Henry one dollar. I also give and
bequeath unto my daughter Catherine one dollar. I also give and bequeath
unto my son James one Dollar. I also give and bequeath unto my daughter
Isabella one Dollar. I also and bequeath unto my two sons Hugh & D-
avid their heirs and assigns all that my messuage or Tenement situated
lying and being in the Township and County aforesaid. Together with all my
other free hold Estate whatsoever to hold to them the said Hugh and David
their heirs and assigns forever. And lastly I give and bequeath unto my
beloved wife all the rest and residue and remainder of my personal prop-
erty estate goods and chattels of what kind and nature soever enduring 
her widow hood, and at her death to be divided betwixt my two sons Hugh
& David each the one half together with each paying the half of my Lawfull
debts, and I do hereby appoint my sons David and my trusty friend William
Canel my whole sole Executors of this my Last will and Testament hereby re-
voking all former wills by me made. In Witness whereof I have heretofo-
re set my hand and seal this second day of February in the year of our Lo-
rd one thousand eight hundred & fourteen. Signed Sealed published a-
nd declared by the above named Hugh Kennedy to be his last will and
Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names
as Witnesses in the presence of the Testator.                    his
Geo. McMillen. Adam Boyd. Jeremiah Ferree.       Hugh X Kennedy {Seal}
                                                                                          mark.

Allegheny County Ss. On the 9th day of March A.D. 1814. Personally came Ge-
orge McMillen, Adam Boyd and Jeremiah Ferree, the Subscribing witnesses
to the within will before Saml Jones Register for the probate of wills & for said
County. and being duly Sworn they did depose and say that they were pres-
ent and did see Hugh Kennedy make his mark to this instrument of wri-
ting and published pronounced & declared the same to be his last will an-
d Testament, and that he was of sound mind and memory at the ti-
me of so doing to the best of their Knowledge. Given under my hand the
day & year aforesaid
                                    Recorded 9th March 1814           Saml Jones Register.


Hugh names eleven children in his will, leaving only token bequests to all but two of his sons, Hugh and David. He had two wives, Catherine Hughes and Elizabeth Scullion but it's not clear to me which one was the mother of which children including my direct ancestor Jennet (Jane) who married Isaac Webb.







© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Have you traced your Hugh's movement through the tax records? I have been trying to sort out the records of Hugh Kennedy of Frederick County Virginia (who has a significant amount of land and occassional slaves in from 1787 through 1809, as well as the Hugh Kennedy of Allegheny County in Pennsylvania (at least from 1791 to 1800 in records I've seen so far). I now suspect that they might be Hugh Sr. and Hugh Jr., but I haven't seen any land sale records to identify them more specifically. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete