Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Quick Tip: Finding Leads on Colorado Records

Clarence Franklin Jones is a 3rd cousin 2x removed on my Hartley/Gwinnup side. More details on the marriage record can be found on FamilySearch.  Other records indicate that his wife died in 1977, so I'm not sure what other reasons Clarence appears on two probate files.  I suspect he died in either 1957 or 1962.



In addition to Colorado digitized newspapers (1859-1923) and FamilySearch's Colorado online record collections, I just found a nice place to find a variety of Colorado records (from the late 1800s-mid 1900s) at the Colorado State Archives "Archives search".

I discovered this after working on one of Solomon Hartley's descendant branches that ended up in Denver in the early to mid 1900s. After the trail went cold on census, marriage, city directory, and gravestone records, I was able to at least get some leads on a few people who just seem to disappear.

There are links at the bottom of the Colorado Archives search page that give you directions on how request files.
Not a lot of detail, but it's better than nothing!

Ancestry's U.S. Will collection is still very sparse on its Colorado holdings, so I'll probably use this as a substitute until they improve their selection.



© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment