Sunday, December 3, 2017

Sunday Drive: The Old Dodge Made into a Truck

Because there's no caption to this photo I'm not certain of the date but from other pictures on the same and neighboring pages, I would guess it was taken in the late 1920s or early 1930s.*

[From my personal collection]

Capitol Electric was a well-established firm whose name often appeared in the San Diego Union's lists of permits granted by the city.

[Title: San Diego, California, City Directory, 1934. Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.]

And for some of their better-known clients, Capitol Electric would often buy space in the newspaper to offer congratulations, as on this page announcing the opening of new banquet and dining rooms at the U.S. Grant Hotel in 1927.

[San Diego Union; Saturday, November 12, 1927 San Diego, California. Page:   6. Source: Genealogybank.com]


This magazine ad from 1931 for Mazda Lamps which Capitol Electric was also selling was found on Pinterest.

[From pin by Vintage Electronics]




*I believe it would have been before 1933 when lack of work in his trade forced Harold to work in a plating shop on India Street.



© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure it was not made that way? I've seen other photos from this period and I believe you could order this from the factory, or perhaps a secondary shop who did the conversion. I think they even had a name. And I think you could pull out the little truck insert. I wonder if it qualifies as a crew cab.
    bonnie who now wants that truck

    ReplyDelete