Thursday, August 23, 2018

My Cousin, Mary Margaret Strong, aka Margaret De Patta, Mid-Century Jewelry Artist

"De Patta with her second husband, Eugene Bielawski, in 1957. Courtesy of the Margaret De Patta Archives (Bielawski Trust)." http://www.eichlernetwork.com/blog/margaret-de-pattas-house-sale-and-her-influence-shows
My 2nd 2x removed cousin, Mary Margaret Strong (1903-1964), was a jewelry designer in the San Francisco Bay area.  I knew nothing about her until I found her in my genealogy, but she made some very cool jewelry (that I can't afford lol). 

Her original name was Mary Margaret Strong.  She married Sam De Patta (1900-1967), a hat salesman, in 1928, and although she later remarried she kept his last name.  Her second husband, Eugene Bielawski (1911-2002), was also an artist.

Accoring to Wikipedia:
Margaret De Patta (née Strong; 1903–1964) was an American jewelry designer active in the mid-century jewelry movement.[1] Her innovative jewelry was influenced by the "Bauhaus school, constructivism, and democratic ideals".[2] Her work is collected in many major museums including the Smithsonian American Art Museum[3] and the Oakland Museum of California.[4] The first major retrospective of her work, Space-Light-Structure: The Jewelry of Margaret De Patta, opened at the Museum of Arts and Design in 2012.[1]

Her obituary named her as Margaret DePatta Bielawski:

San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, Mar 22, 1964
Page: 30
from GenealogyBank.com
 
Bielawski - In Oakland, March 19, 1964, Margaret DePatta Bielawski, beloved wife of Eugene Bielawski and sister of Mrs. Benjamin Ginsburg of Van Nuys, Mrs. William, J. O'Brien of Oakland and Harold Strong Jr. of San Diego; aunt of Mrs. M. Mathans of Escondido, Mrs. Charles Carter of Santa Maria and Miss Diane O'Brien of Oakland.  A member of the Metae[sic] Arts Guild, the Designers Craftsmen of California, and the American Craftsmen Council.  A native of Tacoma, Washington. 
Private services were held Saturday afternoon, March 21, in Oakland.
(Albert Brown Mortuary)


Margaret's grandmother was a sister of my 2nd great grandmother Mary Jane (Tibbetts) Hartley.


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Margaret is my Great Grand Aunt, I am the great granddaughter of Charlotte (Strong) O'Brien. Just wanted to reach out and say hi, I am also very interested in genealogy. I inherited a book on the geology of both the Strong and Tibbetts families going back to the 1600's! Feel free to email me if you have holes in your tree that I may be able to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hello cousin!! How cool!! Thank you for the offer. I had three different versions of that book at one point but have since given them to another family member. I do my work on Ancestry.com, and they actually have a version of May Jarvis' genealogy. My tree is public and please feel free to take anything you want from it. Christine

    ReplyDelete