Saturday, May 28, 2016

May Jarvis Receives a Letter From the New England Historic Genealogical Society

May (Tibbetts) Jarvis kept this and her other letters of acceptance from the institutions she donated her Tibbetts genealogy to in the copy she gave to her granddaughter, Amy.  Although I have 3 versions of May's books I had not seen these letters before.   Courtesy of Katherine Rainey, who has temporarily loaned me these copies.

When I wrote my post on May Jarvis I mentioned the institutions she donated copies of her Tibbetts genealogy to.  I was excited when May's great granddaughter lent me her copies of May's work and I saw that the acceptance letters from these very institutions (including NEHGS, the Library of Congress, the National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Newberry Library, the Central Library of the Los Angeles Library, and the Sutro Library in San Francisco (California State Library)) still exist.

I suspect that genealogists back in the 1940's faced the same indifference from most of their relations as they do now.  It must have been very rewarding for May to receive these acceptance letters of praise from fellow enthusiasts.





© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment