Thursday, May 19, 2016

Fashion Flashbacks: High-Necked Long Dress on Me and in the Sears Catalog, circa 1973

Me and my Easter treasures, probably 1973.  I'm fussy, so I can only imagine the cute neckline bothered me.



"Elegant LONG Dresses" offered in the Sears catalog.  I think this is from the same time period as the picture of me above.  From Historic Catalogs of Sears, Roebuck and Co., 1896-1993, Spring 1973, catalog 246A, image 297 (of 1464), available on Ancestry.

From what I've been told many of my childhood special occasion clothes clothes came from my grandmother, Margaret Fister, a wealthy woman who bought clothes at I Magnum, Bullocks, Saks Fifth Avenue, and even in France if she was traveling there.

I am unsure if this dress was from her, if my mother made it, or if it was purchased elsewhere.  I doubt it was purchased at Sears.  Still, the Sears catalog is one way to try to pin down years with clothes.









© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember this dress but it almost certainly was a present from your doting paternal grandmother and I guarantee she didn't get it at Sears. Most of the outfits she bought for you came from Saks because she thought that was a good source of "fun" clothes. Quite a few of them had little neck ruffs and I recall no complaints--they were soft, not scratchy. I also remember that whenever you wore a new one on a visit to Grandma and Grandpa Currey in their little house in San Diego they always fed you chocolate ice cream which you invariably spilled on the white collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dresses in the Sears ad are a woven fabric and would have been scratchy. Your outfits were made from a stretchy knit so they weren't.

      Delete