Sunday, September 30, 2018

San Diego History: America's Exposition - The Ford Bowl, 1935

For some reason (which doesn't seem quite like the good idea it was at the time) I decided to re-organize my house just ahead of my departure for France.* 

This photograph surfaced while I was sorting through some old files. I don't know how it came into my possession but I'm fascinated by this official photo of the the outdoor amphitheater originally built by the Ford Motor Company for the 1934-35 Exposition and is now known as the Starlight Bowl.**

[Photograph by John Sirigo, Official Photographer; from my personal collection]

And in the background the building just visible on the left side of the photo is a bit of the 1917 Naval Hospital.

The Bowl garners a mention in this video presented by Channel 7/39's Ken Kramer:




*And everything will be "shipshape" when I leave here tomorrow evening for Marseilles via London Heathrow.
**The years haven't been kind to the structure which hasn't seen a performance in many years. There's a dedicated non-profit group who hope to rescue it.


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment