Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fern Evelyn Fister, 1907-2003

Fern Evelyn Fister (1907-2003), my grandmother Margaret (Fister) Hartley's sister.
Finally, a Fister that I knew!  She was my great aunt, although I just called her Aunt Fern.  She was one of the nicest people I've ever known, and always sent birthday and Christmas cards and a family newsletter (how I wish I had a copy now).

Me and Aunt Fern, circa 1980.  From my personal collection.

Her obituary doesn't say it, but she was a secretary for author Norman Maclean while they were at the University of Chicago (some time between 1940 and 1973):
San Diego Union-Tribune, The (GenealogyBank)
October 25, 2003
Edition: 1,2,6,7
Page: B-6:7 B-4 B-10:6 B-8:2 
FERN EVELYN FISTER
Dec. 4, 1907-Oct. 20, 2003 Fern Evelyn Fister, 95, of San Diego died Monday. She was born in Newark, Ill., and was an administrative assistant at the University of Chicago. She was a member of the American Association of University Women and the Pacific Beach Garden Club. 
She is survived by a sister, Doris Shulkin of San Diego. 
Services: 1:30 p.m. Monday, Pacific Beach Presbyterian Church, 1675 Garnet Ave., San Diego. 
Entombment: El Camino Memorial Park, San Diego. 
Donations: Pacific Beach Presbyterian Church, 1675 Garnet Ave., San Diego, CA 92109. 
Arrangements: Pacific Beach Chapel.


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment