Sunday, July 29, 2018

Sunday Drive: Whiskey Run, Oregon Coast - Summer, 1955

This sheltered campsite, far enough back from the beach to be comparatively warm, was one of our favorite places to stay. (And true my parents' frugal habits, it was free.)



In those days the road to Whiskey Run wasn't paved.


 And in one area there were several choices, so Dad always checked out the route on foot to see which one appeared to be the best. We never got stuck in the sand.



Here's a photo of me on my way down to the beach in search of agates and petrified wood which was the attraction this area had for us.

[All photos from my personal collection]

Whiskey Run's history dates back to the early 1850s when gold was discovered in its black sands.


TripAdvisor rates this beach at 4.5--you can see current photos of it here.



© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful rig. The "Desert Water Bag" is a very nice touch, I can remember when cars had them hanging from the hood ornament going across the desert. I bet a lot of people would ask what a hood ornament was. My favorites were Pontiac (the indian) and of course Plymouth, for its ship hood ornament which must have been the Mayflower since it was, after all a Plymouth .....
    bon

    ReplyDelete