Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Adoption

I am not closely related to this woman, but she is my Grandma.

I've always known that my mom had been adopted, but her adopted parents, Bernice Grenfell and Harold Currey, are my true maternal grandparents.

About 15 years ago I tracked down mom's biological parents.  I talked to her (very surprised) biological father on the phone a few times, and although Mom's biological mother died in 1986 we're now close to her niece and sister-in-law.  But as much as I research their genealogy Mom's biological parents always seem like semi-mythical characters.  They are not real to me.

[Me and my grandma, Bernice (Grenfell) Currey (1902-1980), about 1974 in Encanto, San Diego, California.]
This lady, on the other had, is very real to me, even though she is long gone now.  Her only biological child was Harold "Junior" Currey, who as it turns out was practically the same age as my biological grandfather.  He died flying over Japan in March 1945 during World War II.  Grandma and Grandpa adopted my mom only 2 years after Junior died.  I think before they adopted they must have been in a terrible state.  I think raising my mom really helped them deal with their tragic loss.




© 2014 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment