Friday, September 7, 2018

From the Probate Files: John Chappell - Monroe County, Georgia - 1828

An obituary found for John Chappell, one of my paternal fourth great grandfathers, gave his age as 65 years at the time of his death on December 1, 1828. If that date is correct, his death must have been anticipated because two of his sons who were named as executors of this 1827 will appeared in court on December 8th and probate was recorded on December 10th.
 



Georgia              }
Monroe County  }  In the name of God, Amen.
I, John Chappell of the State & County , aforesaid being of Sound mind & good
bodily health but considering the uncertainty of human life, do make this my
last will & Testament in manner following viz.
First I recommend my South to God who gave it, & my body I committ
to the earth & as to my worldly estate, I give & bequeath to Nancy
Bonner, Martha ^Heath^ Eliza Douglas, Abraham H. Chappell, George A
Chappell, & Sarah H Chappell & John d. Chappell one thousand
Dollars each with the following understanding & limitation, viz. it is
to be considered that I have heretofore advanced & paid over to Nancy
Bonner the sum of nine hundred & twenty dollars which ^last is to be
computed in making the sum of one thousand dollars to said
Nancy. I have also advanced & paid over to Martha Heath the
Sum of one thousand dollars which is to considered as a full
payment of the above mentioned Legacy to said Martha.
I have also heretofore advanced & paid over to Eliza Douglas the
Sum of Six hundred & twenty five dollars which amount is to be
computed in making the sum of one thousand dollars to Said
Eliza. I have also heretofore advanced & paid over to Abraham H
Chappell the sum of Seven hundred dollars, which amount is to
be computed in making up the aforesaid Sum of one thousand
dollars to the said Abraham H. I have also heretofore ^advanced &^ paid over
to Said John d. Chappell the Sum of Fifteen hundred dollars
which is to be considered as a full Satisfaction of the above 
legacy, one thousand dollars & five hundred dollars on 
advance of the Share of the Said John D. of my residuing
Estate,     after the payment of my Specific legacies,



I have also heretofore advanced & paid over the George A. Chappell
the Sum of one thousand dollars which is to be considered a
full payment & Satisfaction of aforesaid legacy of one thousand
dollars to said George A.
I give & bequeath to Joseph T. Chappell the Sum of fifteen
hundred dollars, as an estate for the life of the Said Joseph T.
to be divided equally between all of the before named Legacies
after the death of the Said Joseph T & the Said Joseph T. is to
be at liberty to live with either of his brothers viz. Abraham H.
Chappell, John D.Chappell & George A Chappell who are
to share equally the use & benefit of the last mentioned
legacy to the Said Joseph T., during the natural life of the
Said Joseph T. on the condition of their contributing to his
Maintenance,
To my beloved wife Sara P. Chappell I give & bequeath Lot Aa.
one hundred and forty five in the Sixth district of Monroe County
I also the three negroes Mysich, Mary, & Beeley the property so
bequeather to my beloved wife, is to be enjoyed By her during her
Natural life, & at her death is to return to my estate to be distributed
as hereafter mentioned,
All the residue of my estate not herein above disposed of & also
that part of ^which is^ bequeathed to my beloved wife, after her death is to be
divided equally between the above mentioned Nancy Bonner Martha
Heath, Eliza Douglas Abraham H Chappell John D. Chappell
George A Chappell & Sarah H Chappell Should either of the last
mentioned legaties viz. the Martha Nancy Eliza Abraham H. John D
George A or Sarah H. Die before me the portion herein bequeatherd
to Such Legacies Shall descend to the heirs of Such legated
Should either of Said Legacies die before my wife the Share of Such
legated in the property herein bequeather to my wife after he
death Shall descend to the heirs of such Lagaties.
I nominate & appoint my Son Abraham H Chappell John D
Chappell & George A Chappell Executors of this my will.
In witness thereof to this my ^Said^ will I have set my hand and Seal
The Twenty first day of October in the year of our Lord one thous-
and eight hundred & Twenty five                  John Chappell {Seal}
Signed Sealed published                              ---------   --------------
Declared in the presence }     Georgia         } Before us James H. Gorden
Robert T. H. Abeller       } Monroe County } and John Spoollin Justices
John F Brooks                 }  of the Inferior Court for the County afore
John Redding                  }  said personally appeared John Redding
Angus M.D. King           }  and Angus M.D. King who being
                                        }  Duly Sworn on oath Say that they

["Georgia Probate Records, 1742-1990," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-893L-GWPH?cc=1999178&wc=9SYT-L27%3A267724601%2C267815001 : 20 May 2014), Monroe > Wills 1824-1866 vol A-B > image 31 of 448;
county probate courthouses, Georgia.]

John Chappell later of this county deceased Sign Seal and
acknowledge the foregoing instrument as his last will and Testa-
ment and that at the time of Said signing Sealing and
acknowledging he was of Sound & disposing mind and memory
and that they both Subscribed Said will and attesting 
witnesses in the presence of the Said John Chappell and Saw
John T. Brooks & Robert J. H. Abeller Subscribe the Same as
Witnesses
Subscribed & Sworn to in the presence of }        John Redding
John Trathin J JC.                                       }     Angus M.D. King
J. H. Geran  J J.C.                                       }
--------   ----------

Georgia             }  I Abraham H. Chappell and John D Chappell
Monroe County } Do Solemnly Swear that this writing contains
the true last will of the within named John Chappell 
Deceased So far as we Know or believe, and that I will
well and truly execute the Same by paying the debts and
then these legacies contained in the Said will as far as his
Goods and Chattles will thereunto extend, and the law charge
and that I will make a true and perfect Inventory of all Such
Goods and Chattles So help me God Sworn to this 8th
December 1828                           Abraham H. Chappell
Elias Beall C.C.O.    ordered       John D. Chappell
-------------  ------                        -------  -----  ----------
                    Recorded 10th December 1828
                              Elias Beall C.C.O.


And here's my relationship to John Chappell:

[Ancestry.com]







© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment