Friday, June 2, 2017

From the Probate Files: Thomas Ward - Bertie County, North Carolina, 1796

At the end of my Monday post about his second wife, Pheraby Sowell, I promised to look into her husband Thomas Ward's will which he made in March of 1795.* Although he described himself as "being sick and weake in body" at the time it wasn't presented in Bertie County probate court until the November court term of 1796. It's clear from its provisions that Thomas was a wealthy man who was able to bequeath land, slaves, livestock and beds and furniture to his surviving family members.

I have transcribed the parts of the will that mention Pheraby in red.


In the name of God amen (March fourteenth year of
our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety five)
I Thomas Ward of Bertie County and state of North
Carolina being sick and weake but of sound of body
but of sound and disposing mind and memory thanks
be unto God for the same and calling to mind the
uncertainty of this mortal life and knowing it is
appointed once for all men to die, do make and or-
dain this my last will and Testament in manner and
form ^as^ followith ----
Item First  I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife
Pheraby Ward one negro woman named Sufia half
of my hogs three cows and calves four ewes and lambs
one horse called Springer one bridle & saddle one bed and
furniture to dispose of as she shall or may think proper
I also lend my beloved wife two negroes one negro man
named Black Dave one Girl named Hester all my
plantation utensils and Kitchen furniture that I have


not given away to the several Legatees in their legacies
during her natural life with the uses of my houses &
plantation I now live
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Winiford
Holley one negro woman Pegg and her increase one bed
and furniture one large Iron pott two cows and calves which
said property is now in her possession. I say to her and her heirs
forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my son Michael Ward
one negro boy named Simon one Stear one bed and furni-
ture all which is now in his possession Except the negro boy
I say to him and his heirs forever I likewise lind my son
Michael Ward the plantation whereon he now lives his na-
tural life and after his death I give and desire the said
land and plantation unto my Grandson William Ward
son of the said Michael Ward I say to him and his heirs
forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my son James Ward four
hundred acres of land whereon he now lives one negro boy
Go one bed and furniture one Gun one cow & calf which
is now in his possession I say to him and his heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my son Isaac Hill Ward
one Negroe boy named Charles one bed and furniture
two cows and calves to him and his heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my son Joshua Ward the
Land plantation whereon I now live with all my 
Land adjoining thereto two negroes (to wit) Yellow


David and one boy named James one bed & furniture
one paid of Grist Mill Stones one paid of hand mill stones
one whipsaw one croscut saw one yoke of oxen cart
and wheels & one brandy Still I say to him and his heirs
forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary
Garrett one negro girl named Jumima to her and
her heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Martha
Luten one negro girl named Rose one bed ^and^ furniture
one Linnen wheel two cows and calves four head of 
Sheep all which she hath now possession of and one
walnut desk I say to her and her heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Pheraby
Sparkman one negroe boy named Daniel one bed
and furniture on linnen wheel two cows & calves and
one looking Glass all of which she hath heretofore received
I say to her and her heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth
Ward one negro woman named Lidia and her child
named Rachel one bed and furniture one Linnen 
wheel two cows and calves two ewes and Lambs
I say to her and her heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ann Outlaw a
Negroe woman named Dinah one bed and furniture 
one Linnen wheel two cows and calves which she hath
heretofore received and two ewes and Lambs I say to her & to her


heirs forever ----
Item  I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elendar
Ward one Negroe man Black David one Negroe Girl
named Hester after the death of my beloved wife
Pheraby Ward likewise on bed and furniture one Linnen
wheel two cows & calves two ewes and Lambs - I say
to her and her heirs forever I also will and desire that
the house before mentioned in my beloved wife's Legacy
shall be given & I do hereby give and bequeath them
to my said Daughter Elendar Ward (after the decease of
my beloved wife to her and her heirs forever ----
Item  I hereby inpower and direct my Executors to make
a good and lawfull Rite and Title To Jeremiah Freeman
for a certain messuage or tenement track or parcel
of Land which I now hold under entry which land Jno.
Freeman dec'd bought of Michael Brittain the said Jere
miah Freeman paying to them the cost and Expense
of saving the same ----
Item  I will and desire that all my just debts and
funeral charges be paid and discharged and that
the remainding part of my Estate that hath not
before been mentioned be sold and my Just
debts funeral charges & be paid & discharged out
of the money arising therefrom and that the 
remainding part be equally divided amongst
my six children Joshua Ward  Martha Luten  Pheraby
Sparkman  Elizabeth Ward  Ann Outlaw  Elendar


Ward ----
Item  Lastly I constitute and appoint my friend
Solomon Cherry and my three sons Isaac H. Ward  James
Ward and Joshua Ward Executors to this my last will
and Testament and I do hereby Revoke disallow and
make void all my former wills and Testaments heretofore
by me made and ratifying this and no other to be my
last will and Testament
Signed Sealed & Delivered }          Thos. Ward
in the presence of . . . .        }
Gen Wm. Watford
Jona. Spivey
Jno. Campbell

State of No. Carolina     }    Nover. Term 1796 ----
     Bertie County           }   The last will and Testament
of Thomas Ward dec'd. was proved in open Court
by the Oaths of Wm. Watford & Jonathan Spivey
two of the subscribing witnesses and ordered to be
recorded ----                                     George Grayble



Next week I'll look at Pheraby's probate records from 1813.

Thomas and Pheraby/Feriby are the great grandparents of my great great grandmother Martha Heath Hardy, the wife of J.T.S. Warren.



*Actually I got it wrong, confusing him with another ancestor, who died five years after making the will presented in probate. (I've corrected the original post.)


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment