Sunday, March 18, 2018

Sunday Drive: Okefenokee Swamp - 2008

During our two-week trip to South Carolina and Georgia in 2008, Bonnie and I took a guided boat tour of part of the vast Okefenokee Swamp on a day that promised rain.* 


Undaunted, our boat set out across the tannin-stained water.




Our ultimate goal was an open patch of water called a "prairie" filled with water lillies. (Do you see the alligator in the first picture?)





Okefenokee is most commonly translated as "land of trembling earth" and Bonnie tested that for herself while I stayed in the boat.



At that point the clouds darkened and as we headed back the heavens opened.

[All photos from my personal collection]

Our boat had a canopy but since the rain came at us sideways we were soaked by the time we arrived back at the dock. However it wasn't cold and we dried off pretty quickly.



*Which shouldn't have been a surprise, considering that most of the water in the Okefenokee comes from the sky. Actually it's a bog, not a swamp, and the water is very pure. Our guide explained that in the days of sailing ships water from the Okefenokee was preferred because it stayed fresh much longer. 


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. That was a highlight of the trip for me, I loved the bog or whatever. I didn't remember the alligator, there were so many. I also had forgotten how gray my hair was way back then ......
    bon

    ReplyDelete