Friday, February 2, 2018

From the Probate Files: James Sill - Chester County, Pennsylvania - 1774

The Pennsylvania probate files for James Sill, one of my maternal 7th great grandfathers, contain both the original will and the transcribed version by the Register of the court. This week we'll look at the original will and then note the differences between the two version, if any, at a later date.*



I James Sill of the Township of Edgement in the County of Chestor and Province of 
Pensylvania Do make this my Last will and Testament in the manner and form
following that is to say
First my will is that all my Just Debts and funerall Expences be paid as soon as
conveniently may be after my Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to my beloved ^wife^ Anne Sill the Yearly sum of Eight pounds
Lawfull money of Pennsylvania to be paid to her by my Son James Sill yearly and
Every year and sufficient Meat and Drink During her Naturall Life to be
Paid Out of the profits of my Lands and Real Estate in Edgemont Aforesaid
I also Give to my Said wife During the Said term the use and Priviledge of 
my Loding Room and all the Furnature thereunto belonging and one horse
or Mare at her Choice, and the keeping of the same or some Other A
Side Saddle and my Silver Buckle, and my will is that my Son James Sill shall
find and Provide for my Said wife for the term of Seven Years next after
My Decease firewood what she shall have Ocation for at a Suitable length
at or near her Door If she shall think Proper to  live in the Said room but if 
She Shall remove therefrom then and in Such Case she shall take none of 
the Said furnature with her Except the bed beding and tea ware And after
the Decease of my Said wife the above mentioned Goods and furnature
Shall Decend and belong to my Above Said Son James Sill
Item   I Give and Devise to my Son James Sill and to his heirs and assigns forever
all my massuage tenements Plantation and tract of land in Edgement
Aforesaid with the Appurtenances thereof he paying and performing all
things herein above Given to and provided for my wife, and in Default 
whereof my Said wife Shall or may at any time take my plantation
into her Possession and Receive the Rents and profits thereof untill
all arrears of any kind Due to her are Satisfied and paid
Item   I Give and bequeath to my ^Son^ Joseph Sill the sum of twenty pounds Lawfull Money
of Pensyvania to be paid to him within one year after my Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to My Son Richard Sill the sum of twenty pounds Law-
-full money of pensylvania to be paid to him within two Years after my
Decease I also forgive my Said Son Richard all the Intrest that Shall be Due on 
his to me at the time of my Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to my Son George Sill the sum of twenty pounds 
Lawfull money of Pensylvania to be paid to him within three Years After
my Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to my Son Michael Sill the Sum of twenty pounds Lawfull money of pensylvania to be paid to him within four years after My Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Mary Morris the Sum of twenty pounds
Lawfull money of pensylvania to be paid to her within five years after
My Decease
]Item   I Give and Bequeath to My ^Daughter^ Martha Holston the sum of twenty pounds
Lawfull money of pensylvania to be paid to her within five years after
My Decease
Item   I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Ann Kenady the Sum of twenty
pounds Lawfull money of pensylvania to be paid to her within Seven
years after my Decease


[Estate Papers, 1713-1810; Author: Chester County (Pennsylvania). Register of Wills; Probate Place: Chester, Pennsylvania. Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data: Pennsylvania County, District and Probate Courts.]


Item   I Give and Bequeath to My Grandson James Regester the Sum of twenty pounds
Lawfull money of pensylvania for Services he Did for me after he was of 
age to be paid to him within Eight years After My Decease
I order it, and my will is that My Executors herein After Named or the
Survivor of them shall Sell all my plantation and tract of Land
Cituate in the township of willistown in the County of Chester
to the Purchaser or Purchasers
And all the Rest and Residue of my Estate I Give and bequeath to My
wife Ann Sill and My ^Son^ James Sill to be Equally Divided between them
And I Do hereby Constitute and apoint My beloved wife Ann Sill
and my ^Son^ James Sill Executors of this my Last will and Testament
Revoking all Other wills and Testament by me Made In
Witness whereof I have hereunto Sett My hand and Seal this Third Day
of July in the year of Our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred and Seven-
-ty two ___ ___ ___ ___ 1772
Signed Sealed Published and Declared by James Sill
to be his Last will and Testament In the presents of us

Nehemiah Baker                                             James Sill {}
Ludia Baker
Nathan Baker

Chester 15th April 1774.  Then Personally appeared Nehemiah
Baker, Lydia Baker and Nathan Baker, and on their solemnly
Affirmations according to Law, did Declare; Affirm and Say, that they
were personally present and did see and hear James Sill, the 
Testator, in the foregoing Writing named, Sign, Seal, Publish,
Pronounce and Declare the same Writing, as and for his last Will
and Testament, and that at the doing thereof, he was of a sound and
well disposing Mind and Memory, to the best of their Understandings

     Affirm'd before,
          H H Graham Reg'r

James Sill appears to be a traditionalist, leaving the bulk of his estate to his wife and oldest son James, my direct ancestor. All his other children were bequeathed 20 pounds which James directed should be paid to them after periods of one to seven years after his decease. Only one of his grandchildren, James Regester[?] was named in the will receiving his 20 pounds because of some service he performed for him. It seems to me that this grandson must be the son of a daughter of James Sill but I don't know the mother was his known daughters Martha, Ann or Mary or another child** whose name hasn't come down to us.


*There are some differences but I haven't compared the two to see if they're material.
**If so, presumably she had died before James Sill made this will.


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment