Saturday, May 5, 2018

Mrs. Mary (Hartley) Read Dies

Mary Hartley Read (1872-1957) was my great grandfather George H. Hartley's oldest sister.  Picture courtesy of HermitInTheValley (Ancestry).

As I've been going through my tree and correcting names/places/dates, I have noticed the fair number of cousins/uncles/aunts who didn't leave descendants (at least as far as I know).  Sometimes their lives seemed more interesting since they were not as consumed with child-rearing, but after a few generations these same people can get forgotten because they don't have direct descendants.  I plan on making a tag in Legacy to mark these people to get a better handle on some of what they did.

My 2nd great aunt Mary Hartley Read was a teacher and according to family story she reputedly taught in the Montessori style early on.

San Diego Union
23 Sep 1957
page 6
from GenealogyBank 
Mrs. Mary Read Dies; Resident Here 75 Years 
Mrs. Mary Hartley Read, 83, a resident here 75 years and a teacher in San Diego County schools for 20 years, died Saturday.  She lived at 2931 B St. 
Mrs. Read, a widow, was a member of the First Christian Church, the Historical Society of San Diego, the YWCA and the Women's Auxiliary of the Spanish American War Veterans. 
A daughter of a pioneer North Park family, Mrs. Read was a graduate of the old state Normal School in Los Angeles.  She is survived by a brother, Paul J. Hartley, and a sister, Mrs. Maud Hartley MacDougall, both of San Diego. 
Services will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Lewis Colonial Mortuary, followed by cremation.



© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Not really a surprise to me. My grandmother (Emily (Auble) Carringer (1899-1977)) and great-grandmother (Georgianna (Kemp) Auble (1868-1952)) were members of first Christian Church from about 1911 until probably the 1930s or 1940s. They undoubtedly knew your Mary (Hartley) Read. My grandparents were married in the church in 1918.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they did know each other. How fun!

      Delete