Friday, March 3, 2017

I See By My DNA That I Am Neanderthal

Of course that's a gross exaggeration--according to my recently received 23andMe results less than 4% of my overall DNA can be traced back to Neanderthal ancestors. Even this small amount puts me at the upper end of the range.*

We've come a long way since the mid-19th century when scientists made the realization that fossilized bones that had been discovered in France, Belgium and, most famously, the Neander Valley in Germany belonged to an older species of hominid. And ongoing genetic research has made it clear that they are still influencing some of us.

[Prehistoric man. 3.--The Neanderthal man, member of the hunting race inhabiting central France in Mousterian times. Stereograph created by Philip Brigandi, Philip, 1873-1945, photographer, Los Angeles, California, c1924.
Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C.]

If I ever make it to Düsseldorf I definitely want to visit the Neanderthal Museum. It looks like a fun place.

[Be part of the human family...Neanderthal Museum Home Page]

Here are several recent articles on Neanderthal DNA:

Neanderthal DNA has subtle but significant impact on human traits

Ancient Neanderthal Still Influences our Genes

*23andMe states that I have more Neanderthal variants than 94% of their customers.


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment