Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Getting Inspired to Continue Cleaning Up My Locations: Geoff Rasmussen Presents "September 5, 2014: Locations, Mapping and Legacy"


I'm still in the process of cleaning up my locations.  I didn't realize that we had at least 2 or 3 different ways to express any given location.  Take Anaheim, a city in Los Angeles County, California:

Anaheim
Anaheim, CA
Anaheim, California
Anaheim, Los Angeles, California
Anaheim, Los Angeles, California, United States
Anaheim, Los Angeles, California, USA
Anaheim, Los Angeles County, California
Anaheim, Los Angeles County, California, USA
Anaheim, Los Angeles County, California, United States of America
Anaheim, Los Angeles, California, United States of America

and the list goes on.

So yeah, it's taking more time than I originally expected, but that is what I get for not determining a standard way to add location names in my Ancestry tree.  Don't be like me!  Standardize your locations, in as specific a way as possible, now!


The reason I am doing all this is to have a smooth, functional database of location names.  It helps me to get inspired when I see what others do when it comes to locations.  If you also user Legacy you might be inspired by the September 5, 2014 Legacy Virtual User's Group Meeting, free from Legacy Family Tree Webinars, "Locations, Mapping and Legacy," headed by Geoff Rasmussen.  As usual, there is a lot to learn from these webinars.


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment