Monday, August 28, 2017

Fantastic Find: FamilySearch Poland Genealogy Wiki

By the time I discovered the FamilySearch website our family tree was well established and it was clear that all but one of my ancestral lines had arrived in what's now the United States well before the American Revolution* so I never felt a need to look into what other assistance FamilySearch site provides.

But this summer when I agreed to help a German man** who is trying to find out more about his father's family in Silesia, I knew I needed help and FamilySearch didn't disappoint. (First of all I learned that Silesia is (mostly) located in what's now southwestern Poland, although in the past it's been claimed by Germany.)

[FamilySearch.org]

When DA and I sat down together and opened FamilySearch's Poland Genealogy wiki, the online tutorials looked like the best place to start.


Sonja Nishimoto has done a  impressive job of introducing the subject in her webinars. I wasn't sure how committed my DA was to the process but he watched the whole thing, taking copious notes, and I think he may well follow through.


His son the astrophysicist*** has recently expressed an interest in his heritage and DA was looking forward to sharing what's he's learned about researching Polish records.

And I learned that I should consider FamilySearch as a source for other things besides all those unindexed probate records!



*The only exception being my maternal grandfather Slater's lineage--his Yorkshire-born great grandfather William T. Slater applied for citizenship in 1818.
**Let's call him "DA"
***Yes, really!



© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment