Monday, November 27, 2017

An Alta Mae Slater Who Isn't my Mother

 In search of a topic for today's post I came across this woman who definitely isn't my mother although her (married) name is the same.

From Social Security records we learn that her maiden surname was Laux and she was born in California in 1892. She was married to Ivan Ernest Slater by the 1920 U.S. Census* and the couple had an infant daughter named Leota Fay.

According to California records Ivan died in 1942 so Alta's injury would have been a serious economic blow to her.

[Santa Cruz Sentinel 19 Nov 1946. Source: Newspapers.com]

[Santa Cruz Sentinel 20 April 1947. Source Newspapers.com]


So far I haven't been able to determine whether Alta collected any damages from the Amayas however 16 years later I found another mention of her...

[Santa Cruz Sentinel 31 Oct 1962. Source Newspapers.com]


*And possibly as early as 1917-18 because Ivan stated he was married on the World War I draft form, although he didn't give his wife's name.


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment