Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Gone for Soldiers: Pete Slater Writes Home - March 31, 1919 (Part I)

In my post last week I shared a clipping from The Severyite with a letter my maternal great uncle George Logan "Pete" Slater wrote to his uncle A.R. Tomlinson* just before he was shipped off to France and lamented that we didn't know more about Pete's wartime experiences.

I spoke too soon.**

This week I found a series of articles in the same newspaper referring to another letter Pete wrote to his uncle from Germany four months after the Armistice was signed.

[8 May 1919, Page 8 - The Severyite at Newspapers.com]

 
Come back next week for the next installment.


*Alfred Ross Tomlinson (1847-1923) was Pete's maternal grandfather's brother.
**Hint: I've found that relying on a single search on Newspapers.com doesn't turn up everything on the subject you're searching for. Every time I repeat my search I get new hits. It pays to try and try again!

© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment