Thursday, April 12, 2018

Updated 23andMe Ethnicity Estimates for Me and My Immediate Family


Sorry about the blurry words, I struggled to get reasonable screen captures, but the map shows the general idea.  Here is my estimate:  British and Irish (United Kingdom) is 50.1 percent; Scandinavian (Norway) is 19.5 percent; French and German (Germany) is 8.3 percent; Eastern European is 1.2 percent; Finnish is 0.2 percent; Ashkenazi Jewish is 0.1 percent; Broadly Northwestern European is 19.0 percent; and Broadly European is 1.5 percent.


I feel more comfortable with these 23andMe ethnicity estimates than the previous ones.  I'll never know exactly where my ancestors were from, but this seems to closely follow what I find in the paper trail.

One thing I noticed was that it assigned Norway to my father and I, as I would expect (my dad's grandparents were from Norway), but my mom's Scandinavian was further refined to Denmark.  Also, her "French and German" was further refined to Netherlands (she has known Netherlands, albeit quite a ways back, but she also does have German and likely French).

Steve's AncestryDNA pointed to a tiny amount of Nigerian, so the West African blip in the 23andMe makes me think that it might actually be real.  Some in his Murphy line have claimed Native American ancestry, but I think I've seen white people who sometimes claim Native American ancestry have African ancestry instead.  Maybe that is the case in this instance.




My mother's updated 23andMe estimate: British and Irish (United Kingdom) is 61.4 percent; French and German (Netherlands) is 13.8 percent; Scandinavian (Denmark) is 2.6 percent; Broadly Northwestern European is 19.4 percent; Broadly Southern European is 0.9 percent; and Broadly European is 1.8 percent.



My Dad's updated ethnicity results: Scandinavian (Norway) is 42.2 percent; British and Irish (United Kingdom) is 19.2 percent; French and Germany (Germany) is 1.9 percent; Balkan is 0.5 percent; Finnish is 0.2 percent; Ashkenazi Jewish is 0.1 percent; Broadly Northwestern European is 30.8 percent; Broadly Southern European is 1.1 percent; and Broadly European is 3.8 percent. 


My husband's updated ethnicity results: Eastern European (Poland) is 30.8 percent; French and Germany (Germany) is 12.7 percent; British and Irish (United Kingdom) is 4.4 percent; Balkan is 0.7 percent, Finnish is 0.7 percent; Iberian is 0.7 percent; Ashkenazi Jewish is 0.3 percent; Broadly Northwestern European is 22 percent; Broadly Southern European is 2.5 percent; Broadly European is 16.1 percent. East Asian and Native American (Broadly East Asian) is 0.1 percent; and Sub-Saharan African (West African) is 0.1 percent.






© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment