Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas 1948 with the Curreys

Because we usually spent the holiday in the trailer, our tree was a small artificial one that got brought out every Christmas Eve after I had gone to sleep. You can catch a glimpse of it here.

But in 1948 that tradition hadn't started yet and we had a real tree. I was about a year and a half at the time--it's possible that I remember the tinsel (but nothing else).

[From my personal collection]

The tree was a small one, set on the built-in cabinet on west wall of the living/dining room of the Curreys' Encanto home. The south wall was mostly window--there were wood venetian blinds and you can tell from the shadow on the wall that half of them had been raised for the photo.*

* There's a 1933 photo of the exterior of the dining room here.


© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the tinsel would be memorable to a small child. Because I loved the Christmas tree, and perhaps because of family tradition, we got our tree early -- as soon as the Christmas tree lots opened -- and I trimmed it and retrimmed it every day until after New Year's! I still do that, but I have 3 small vintage style trees that come out every year, I adore them.

    ReplyDelete