Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My Great Grandparents George Hartley and Minnie Nosler Got Their Marriage License in Los Angeles

George and Minnie (highlighted by yellow stars) and their witnesses, George's sister Mary Catherine Hartley (1872-1957) and Minnie's brother Israel Rittgers Nosler (1876-1954).  Image from "California, County Marriages, 1850-1952," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8DQ-YGB : 28 November 2014), George Hartley and Minnie Nosler, 10 May 1906; citing Los Angeles, California, United States, county courthouses, California; FHL microfilm 2,074,002.

I believe Minnie was a pupil of George Hartley's sister, Delia Hartley (1873-1938), who was a teacher out in Dehesa, San Diego in the 1890s.  I was surprised that they obtained a marriage license in Los Angeles instead of San Diego, but apparently George and Minnie were living there in 1906.

I need to check out the Los Angeles city directory over at Fold3 to see if I can find George or Minnie.

George had been widowed almost exactly 3 years (his first wife, Jane "Jennie" Denby had died May 7, 1903 in San Diego--this license is dated May 9, 1906).  I don't know exactly what Minnie was doing between the 1900 Census and this marriage license, but until now I had only looked at sources in San Diego.

And there she is, working as a milliner and living at 1947 E 2d in the 1906 Los Angeles city directory.  I'm glad I wrote this post, it helped me think more analytically about where she was when she married George.  From Fold3.




And here is George.  Same address as Minnie.  Since they got married in the middle of the year I'm not sure what to make of her going by her maiden name, unless it was a carry-over from the previous city directory?  They did marry in the middle of the year (May).  I don't find her in the 1905 LA city directory, however.  Hmmm.  From Fold3.  



© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment