Saturday, October 29, 2016

Tip: Add Notes To Your DNA Matches at AncestryDNA

My mom and I share 3,483 centimorgans shared across 42 DNA segments, by Ancestry's calculation.  I found that out by clicking on the dark circle with the white "i" in the Predicted relationship info, and then copied and pasted the values in the comment section (see arrow).


For the past few years I've been using the comment section for each of my parents' DNA matches at Ancestry, noting any details I can figure out about the match, including shared cousins and any special mentions of certain names and places if they have a  tree to consult.  At a glimpse of the main match pages I can see how these people are related.

When I went to the Institute for Genetic Genealogy last week Blaine Bettinger recommended noting the shared DNA for each match, which totally makes sense, so I've been methodically going in and adding that information to each cousin match profile.  I had just ignored the shared DNA for a long time on Ancestry because I thought it was useless information without a chromosome browser, but even just knowing the amount of estimated shared data can be helpful, as seen in the following chart (by Bettinger):
The chart gives you typical amounts as well as the possible range of shared DNA.  If you have an ancestor match with someone at the estimated 5th cousin match (shared possible range 0-42cM), but actually share 235cM, you or the other person may not have all the correct info on your trees.  I have just such an issue with a match on my mom's side.
From: "Shared cM Project v2 updated". Via  - http://isogg.org/wiki/File:Shared_cM_Project_v2_updated.png#mediaviewer/File:Shared_cM_Project_v2_updated.png



Dad and I share 3,483 centimorgans shared across 39 DNA segments, by Ancestry's calculations.





NOTE:
At GEDmatch the cumulative numbers are presented differently, because it's a different program--and they do tell you approximately where you match, and you have control over the minimum segment cM (I think Ancestry's is 5(?)cM, GEDmatch default is 7cM):



Comparing Kit (*Pat) and (Christine Hartley)

Minimum threshold size to be included in total = 500 SNPs
Mismatch-bunching Limit = 250 SNPs
Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 7.0 cM

Largest segment = 281.5 cM
Total of segments > 7 cM = 3,587.0 cM
24 matching segments
Estimated number of generations to MRCA = 1.0




Comparing Kit (*George) and (Christine Hartley)

Minimum threshold size to be included in total = 500 SNPs
Mismatch-bunching Limit = 250 SNPs
Minimum segment cM to be included in total = 7.0 cM

Largest segment = 281.5 cM
Total of segments > 7 cM = 3,586.8 cM
25 matching segments
Estimated number of generations to MRCA = 1.0





© 2016 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment