Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Nope, Not a Figment of My Imagination

Indelibly marked in my memory.  My bottle was smaller, but the image is the same.  Image taken from the Maja perfume Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/coletah/maja-perfume/

When I was a girl perfume samples would get passed on to me, either by my mother or my paternal grandmother Margaret.  I think Grandmother would get a ton of these samples at at the upscale cosmetic counters she frequented.  I loved these little things--I pretended they were fancy liquor bottles for my Barbies.  One that I always remember had a Spanish lady in red and black on the label.  Looking up "perfume Spanish lady" today on Google brought up the exact image I was thinking about.  Maja perfume.  I'm not sure how that smells when still good. I have some dim memory of it smelling like all the others by the time it got to me--old perfume past it's expiration date.

The blog Myrurgia Perfumes has more info.

© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. As I'm around your mother's age I believe I remember these, but the one I always think of is Blue Waltz which we bought in the 50s at the "dime store" -- like Woolworth's or Newberry's -- A small bottle with a blue top. So I just looked it up and its still sold! There were many photos of the bottles we bought at age 10 or 12.
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me how many objects like these exist in the world, even decades later.

      Delete