Friday, January 19, 2018

From the Probate Files: William Sill - Allegheny County, Pennsylvania - 1841

Eighty-one year old William Sill executed his last will and testament on May 5, 1838, dividing his property fairly equitably among his son Jesse and his three daughters, although in the case of his two married daughters he directed that each of them and their husbands were to hold the property for their lifetimes and that it then was to go to a named grandson of each couple.

The will wasn't presented for probate until March 9, 1841.


The Last will and testament of William Sill of
Versailles township Allegheny County._____
In the Name of GOD Amen: I William Sill
Considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being
of sound mind and memory (blessed be Almighty God
for the same) do make and publish this my last will and
testament  in the maner and form following (that is to say)
First I give and bequeath to my Daughter Ann that
messuague or tract of Land containing on hundred Acres
now in possession of John Gray being part of the original
tract on which I now reside in Versailles township Allegheny
County to have and to hold forever together with all the
appurtenances                    Item I give and bequeath
unto my son Jesse Sill for and during his natural 
life and the lifetime of his wife Elisabeth that messuage
or tract of land on which I now reside containing one
hundred and fifty acres being the same more or less
and on the death of Jesse Sill and his wife Elisabeth
the aforesaid messuage or tract of Land is to Entail
to my Grandson William Sill together with all the app
urtances to hold the same forever and the residue of my origin
al tract of about thirty acres be the same more or less is
bequeathed to Jesse Sill [???] together with the Apurtenan
ces   Item I Give and bequeath to my soninlaw William
Penny and my daughter Martha that tract or parcel
of land on which they now live in Elisabeth township
County aforesaid containing one hundred and Eighty six
Acres with the allowances, for and during the natural live
time of the aforesaid William and Martha 



together with all and singular the appurtenances
to the same and on the death of the said William and
Martha the aforesaid tract of land is is toto Entail to my
Grandson John Penny (son of William and Martha
Penny) with all appurtenances [????]      Item
I give and bequeath to my soninlaw James Penny and
Jane his wife all that messuage or tract of land set
ini Versailles township County aforesaid Containing one
hundred and sixty acres be the same more or less o which
said Penny now lives during their natural lives
together with all all appurtenances and on the death of
said James and Jane Penny I bequeath the aforesaid
tract of land to my Grandson Levi Penny son of James
and Jane Penny aforesaid  to him and his heirs to hold the land
forever.  Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Ann one
good horse & saddle two Cows six chairs 2 beds one beaureau
two tables and ten sheep __ __ Item I give and bequeath to my
four children the residue of my household goods [????] and
Live stock of every kind that is to say Jesse Martha
Ann & Jane to be Equally divided share and share alike
Lastly my debt and Money'd matters I will after my funeral
Expenses and expenses of the Execution of this my will is paid
allowing my just debts to be paid {????????????????????? ]
more may be is to be equally divided between Jesse Sill
Martha Penny Ann Sill and Jane Penny
Further I make and ordain William Penny
Hamilton Stewart and Fauntley Muse Jr Executors
of this my last will and testament




In testamony whereof I have hereunto set my hand
and Seal this 5 day of May in the year of our Lord
one thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty Eight
                                               William Sill {Seal}

Signed Sealed Published and declared by the above named
William Sill to be his last will and testament in the 
presence of us; who at this request and in his presence
have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto
                                                      John Kelly
                                                      Andrew F Cowan

Allegheny County
Be it remembered that on the 9-th
day of March 1841 personally came before Me D Gilliland
Register fore the Probate of Wills in and for Said County John
Kelly & Andrew F Cowan the subscribing witnesses to the
foregoing Instrument who being by Me Solemnly Sworn
Say that they heard William Sill the above testator publish
and declare the foregoing Instrument as and for
his last will and testament and that at the time
he done so he was of sound and disposing mind
memory and understanding according to the best of their
observation and belief given under my hand the date aforesaid
                                                           D Gilliland
                                                           Registrar


The tape used to repair the pages make it really difficult to read some of the lines and some of the wording in the section written by the registrar was deduced by looking at other wills.

His daughter Ann Sill never married and I'll share her will with you next time.


© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment