Friday, January 26, 2018

From the Probate Files: Ann Sill - Allegheny County, Pennsylvania - 1851

Ann Sill, one of the daughters of William Sill (and therefore my fifth great aunt), signed her will on November 28, 1850, and it was presented in court on February 4th of the following year.




In the name of God Amen, I Ann Sill of
the Borough of McKeesport, County of Allegheny
State of Pennsylvania, being weak in body
and of sound mind memory and understanding
but considering the uncertainty of this transitory life do make and publish this
my last will & Testament in manner and form following, to wit; First,
It is my will, I do order, that all my just debts and funeral Expenses be duly
paid and satisfied as soon as conveniently can be after my decease Second,
I give devise and bequeath to my sister Jane Penny and my niece Margaret
Miller my farm of land situate in Versailles Township, containing one hundred
acres, or thereabouts, which is now in the occupancy of John Gray to them
the said Jane Penny and Margaret Miller  their heirs and assigns forever
share and share alike, Subject however to the payment of the sum of Fifty
dollars each as set forth in the following bequests Third - If the congregation
worshiping in the Presbyterian Meeting house in this Borough should within
the period of four years from the time of my decease, erect a new meeting house
I give and bequeath unto the Trustees of the same the sum of One Hundred Dollars
for the purpose of assisting in paying the expense of erecting the same
which sum is to be paid by my sister Jane Penny and my niece Margaret
Miller viz Fifty Dollars each when the said building is finished, which
sum I have left as a lien upon the farm above bequeathed to them. Fourth, I
give and bequeath unto my brother Jesse Sill the sum of Tow hundred Dollars
and my watch Fifth I give and bequeath unto my nephew John Penny son of 
William the sum of Two hundred Dollars - Sixth - I give and bequeath to the
American Bible Society the sum of One hundred Dollars, to be applied to
the uses and purposes of said society. Seventh - My nephew John Penny
has in his hands the sum of Five hundred Dollars of my money, out of which
is to be paid the foregoing legacies to my brother Jesse Sill, and The 
American Bible Society: which it is my will that he may retain 
      
              

the same, in his hands for the term of one year after my decease without paying
interest therefor; and if at the expiration of that period, he is unable to pay
the said legacies, it is my desire, and I order that he be not distressed therefor
but that he have further time, not exceeding Three years, to pay the same
he giving the Legatees security, and paying them lawful interest annually
for the time he retains the same in his hands after the first year above
mentioned. His own Legacy he may retain in his hands; and what shall
remain of the other one hundred Dollars after defraying my funeral expenses
etc he shall pay out to my residuary Legatees hereinafter named, in the
same manner as the above mentioned legatees are to be paid. Eighth - 
I give and bequeath to Rachel Miller, daughter of Margaret Miller one of
my beds and bedding. Ninth. I give and bequeath to her sister Caroline
Miller my Bureau.            
                                            Tenth - I give and bequeath to her sister Martha
Miller one set of chairs. Eleventh. I give and bequeath to Mrs. Jane Webb, one
of my Beds and Bedding - Twelfth. I give and bequeath to Martha Houghton all
the articles contained in my cupboard, consisting of Plates, Dishes etc
Thirteenth - I give and bequeath to Mrs Jacobs (wife of my Pastor) my saddle
bridle and whip Fifteenth I give and bequeath unto Ruth Penny and Marga-
ret Penny, all that shall remain of my personal estate, after paying my just 
debts, funeral expenses and the foregoing Legacies to be divided between
them, share and share alike. Lastly, I nominate constitute and appoint
Hezekiah Gamble to be the Executor of this my last will, hereby revoking
all others, by me heretofore made, and declare this and no other, my
last will and Testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my
hand and seal this Twenty eighth day of November A.D. one thousand eight
hundred and fifty                                                     Ann Sill {seal}
Signed sealed and delivered by the said Testator as her last will and
Testament in the presence of us, who have subscribed in the presence of each other
The words son of William being first interlined between the 20th and 21st lines
from the top of the first page                                John Patterson
                                                                              Alex Miller


[All the above are from "Pennsylvania Probate Records, 1683-1994," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G991-MTMH?cc=1999196&wc=9PMX-ZNL%3A268499101%2C281889701 : 3 July 2014), Allegheny > Wills 1845-1854 and 1888 vol 6-7 > image 436 of 724; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.]

                               Be it Known that on the 4th day of Feby. A.D. 1851 person-
ally came before me John Scott Register etc in and for the County aforesaid John Patterson&
Alex Miller Ergo the subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing who being
by me duly sworn did declare and say that they saw & heard the Testatrix Ann Sill
sign publish and declare it as being her last will and Testament. That at the time of so
doing she was of sound mind, memory and understanding to the best of their observation &
belief and that at her request and in her presence they subscribed their names as witnesses thereto
     Given under my hand the above           John Scott  Register
Allegheny County    }
                                 } Be it Known that on the 4th day of Feby 1851 Letters testamen-
tary with the will annexed on the estate of Ann Sill were granted to Hezekiah Gamble
Executor in said will name who was duly sworn to administer the goods and chattels rights
& credits which were if said decd. to make a true Inventory & appraisment of the personal
property & file the same in the Registers office in one month to settle an account of his
administration in one year or when thereto legally required and to comply with the provisions of an
act of assembly of this commonwealth entitled an act relating to collateral Inheritances
        Given under my hand etc                       John Scott  Register
Recorded Feby 5th 1851

It's clear from these clippings from the Pittsburgh Daily Post dated April 28, 1853, that Mr. Gamble complied with his instructions to comply with the provisions of the law pertaining to "collateral inheritances":*



[Newspapers.com]


Looking back at her father's 1841 will, we see that Ann retained the property he left to her (and that John Gray was still residing there).

I haven't been able to determine whether McKeeesport's Presbyterian congregation built a new meeting place in time to receive Ann's bequest but I learned that The American Bible Society is still in existence.


 *Here's a description of Pennsylvania's inheritance taxes: "Traditionally, the Pennsylvania inheritance tax had two tax rates. A rate of six percent applied to assets that passed to so-called lineal descendants, such as children, grandchildren and stepchildren. A rate of 15% applied to so-called collateral beneficiaries. This included brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews and all others."




© 2018 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment