Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hat Tip from NEHGS Blog "Vita Brevis": The Sport of Genealogy

http://familysearch.org/films/
Image from the FamilySearch.org website

Kyle Hurst notes in "The Sport of Genealogy":
It takes physical and mental strength and endurance to pursue the ultimate prize of accurately identifying an ancestor.

It's so true!

Last year I decided to get a little more serious in my research and ordered some FHL microfilms for records not digitized (yet).  I went down to the local Family History Center with the intention of doing some amazing research.  It only took scrolling through a few microfilms of ante bellum Alabama estate papers for a few short hours for my brain to turn into mush.  I was woefully unprepared for the firehose of information those files contained, and went home exhausted.  Worst of all, I didn't spend much additional time analyzing what little I did take home, which consisted of blurry photos I took with my phone.  Who knew such a sedentary pursuit could be so grueling?







© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment