Friday, October 30, 2015

Family Friday: Grenfell

This Kodachrome slide was taken in 1951 (when I was four) at Mother's birthplace* in Lawrence County, South Dakota, . The old guy in the overalls with the ax is Mother's father William Richard Grenfell (1879-1956).

The woodpile behind us provided fuel for his heating and cooking. Every winter the wind blew the snow into a deep drift between the house and the woodpile but when Dad offered to build a lean-to just outside the back door and move some firewood there Grandpa Grenfell rejected the suggestion, giving as his reason, "If that place was good enough for my father, it's good enough for me!"

[From my personal collection]

This was the last trip we took in travel trailer #2 and you can see a wider view of the house and farm here.

*I am referring here to the mother who raised me, Bernice Grenfell.

© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment