Monday, October 26, 2015

Monday Madness: When Your Computer Gets a Virus and You Can't Access Your Online Genealogy

It's just one of those days.

Earlier this year I tried to get Family Tree Maker, but for some reason I could never get my computer to accept the activation code and thus couldn't download the program.  I had been excited to use the database to group all people who were born or died in a particular place so that I could look for vital records and wills/probates in one area all at once, or all of the people who were born within a certain year range (for instance to find all men who were within the age-range to be in the Civil War), among other advanced functions that I can't do with the online version of Ancestry.  Alas, it was not to be, and Ancestry has discontinued the CD-ROM version.  So I'm waiting for the next incarnation to try it again.  Bummer.

Today my browsers keep going to a fake AT&T phishing page, so I will be spending my precious genealogy time on getting rid of this computer pestilence.

This is a very good reason to have an offline version of your tree!  Consider this a cautionary tale.








© 2015 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment