Friday, September 29, 2017

From the Probate Files: John Langston - Dawson County, Georgia, 1865

My Monday post about Dorothy Moss (an 8th great grandmother) led me back to my Matthews lineage which I haven't paid much attention to for quite a while. For those of you who share Matthews ancestors in Virginia and North Carolina, I highly recommend a visit to Greg Matthews' excellent website Southern Matthews.*

More information about the extended Matthews clan has surfaced in the intervening years, mostly about collateral relatives, which is the source of today's post regarding the will of John Langston (c.1792-1865), the husband of Clarissa Matthews (1798-after 1880) who is my first cousin 5 times removed.**


["Georgia Probate Records, 1742-1990," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93R-D61J?cc=1999178&wc=9SBS-W3X%3A267648501%2C267702301 : 20 May 2014), Dawson > Wills and bonds 1857-1896 vol B > image 49/50 of 178; county probate courthouses, Georgia.]


                                              Dawson Court of Ordinary
                                                          At Chambers 1865

Georgia             }
Dawson County} In the name of God. Amen.
I, John Langston of said State and County, being of
advanced age,. and knowing that I must shortly depart this
life, deem it right and proper, both as respects my family
and myself, that I should make a disposition of the 
property with which a kind Providence has blessed me, do
therefore, make this my last will and testament, hereby
revoking all others heretofore made by me.
1st. I desire and direct that my body be buried in a
decent and christian-like manner, suitable to my circumstances
and condition in life. my soul, I trust, shall return to rest
with God, who gave it, as I hope, for eternal salvation through
the merits and atonement of the blessed Saviour, Jesus Christ,
whose religion I have professed and as I humbly trust enjoyed,
for thirty-five years or upwards.
2nd. I desire and direct that all my just debts be paid, without
delay, by my executors hereinafter appointed, as I am 
unwilling my creditors should be delayed in their rights,
especially as there is no necessity for delay.
3rd. I give, bequeath and devise to my beloved wife Clarissa
with whom I have lived with in the strictest quiet for forty-two
years, parts of lots of land, numbers 91, 126,125, and all of
92, 160 acres and half of 93, and 155 acres of lot No. 88, the
remaining five acres, I give to Perry W. Grogan where his house
now stands all lying and being in the 5th. district and 2nd.
Section of said county. I also request that my wife keep all
of the negroes, viz: Eliza & Harriet and Bob and Frank and Jane
and Minerva during her natural life, and one certain bay
horse and bay mare and one yoke of oxen and wagon
and five cows, such as she chooses out of the stock and their increase
and five sows and pigs, such as she chooses and ten head of
sheep, such as she chooses, and all of the corn and fodder
here, and to have control of the household furniture and farming
tools.
4th. I, therefore, appoint Jno. M. Langston and William Langstonand
Gilbert L. Langston and Clarissa Langston my executors to
sell or dispose at their pleasure all of the lots and parts of lots lying in
Lumpkin county, a fraction No. 168,  in the 11th. district, originally Hall
now Lumpkin county, and No. 617 and No. 618 in 5th. district and 1st.
Section of Lumpkin county; also to sell and dispose of anything they
choose, this the 11th. of November 1854  
                                                       John Langston {Seal}
                                                               (Over)
Signed & sealed in the
presence of us.
Richard H. Gordon
J.B. Gordon
Cyrus Leay, J.P.

Of course John Langston's 1854 will, which he never amended, did not anticipate the circumstances his state would be in when it was presented for probate early in 1865. Although at the time the Confederate states hadn't surrendered yet it must have been clear that the old way of life was over.

According to the 1870 U.S. Census, Clarissa continued farming the land but by 1880 she was living with one of her daughters and family, still in Dawson County.

I wonder if I can find out what happened to Eliza & Harriet and Bob and Frank and Jane and Minerva after emancipation?


*Naturally we appear to descend from Thomas Charles Matthews about whom there are almost no records. Once again I refer you to Greg Matthews for more information about him.
**Her father Kinchen Matthews, a son of Thomas Matthews, was the brother of my direct ancestor
Claiborne.



© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, just ran across your post blog here. I descend from John Langston and Clarissa Matthews through their daughter Amanda Langston who married William C Thomas. William C Thomas fighting for the Confederacy in the Battle of Cold Harbor and the story is Amanda died 7 days after giving birth to her youngest child (my ancestor) Nancy Manassas Thomas who was orphaned at 7 days old effectively.

    In 1870 both Nancy and her older sister Angenette Thomas are found living with Clarissa Langston (now widowed).

    ReplyDelete