Saturday, September 16, 2017

DNA Doesn't Solve Everything

Murder victims Claire Hough and Barbara Nantais, both found in Torrey Pines.
One of my other interests is following forensic crime investigations (sometimes they aren't that different than genealogy research).

DNA has finally revealed the murderer of these two San Diego girls, both murdered at Torrey Pines beach in the late 1970s/early 1980s--or has it?  Although I have always lived in San Diego I had never even heard of this case before today!

"48 Hours" ran this video "Blood in the Sand" on May 2, 2016 (run time 43:26, there are ads).


© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Christine, I've been aware of it for awhile because Kevin Brown, the SD forensic investigator who may have been falsely accused, committed suicide. He was a genealogy friend of mine and a CVGS member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted this before seeing the end, and realized the problems that were involved in this case. This is a very important case for understanding how people can be wrongly accused, when lab protocol is not followed (or well thought out, as this case was).

      Delete
    2. Randy, I forgot to add that I am sorry for your loss. It seems like he was slut-shamed and falsely accused (at least from I can understand from the evidence taken as a whole). :-(

      Delete