Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sunday Drive: Few Acres Jersey Farm - Bonita, California

My home was built in 1926 so it was 70 years old when I moved here. As necessary repairs and upgrades were completed over the years, some interesting objects were discovered. This battered milk bottle cap is an example:

[From my personal collection]

I loved the dairy's unpretentious name and always planned to do some research about it but somehow I never got around to it. So when the bottle cap re-surfaced during a junk drawer clean-out yesterday, I decided the time had come and here's what I found.

[Monday, May 4, 1931   Paper: Evening Tribune (San Diego, California)   Page: 25  
This entire product and/or portions thereof are copyrighted by NewsBank and/or the American Antiquarian Society. 2004.
Source: GenealogyBank.com]

[Few Acres Jersey Farm - Bonita, California. Source: Chula Vista Public Library]


The proprietor F[rancis] M[arion} Brown was born in Kansas in 1891 and already had his dairy in 1917 when he registered for the World War I draft.

[Registration State: California; Registration County: San Diego; Roll: 1543758. Ancestry.com. U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005. Original data: United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls. Imaged from Family History Library microfilm.]

Here's a later picture of the farm trucks including a delivery van. I wonder if that's how the bottle cap got here?

[Few Acres Jersey Farm Trucks - Bonita, California. Source: Chula Vista Public Library]






© 2017 Copyright, Christine Manczuk, All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Want the delivery truck. Bet you're right about how the bottle cap got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would like the delivery truck.

      Delete
  2. I have two one pint and One quart milk bottles from Few Acres Jersey Farm,F. M. Brown-Bonita.

    ReplyDelete